Saturday, September 11, 2021

Sat, Sept 11 – Orchard Beach State Park to Topinabee Rest Area, Michigan 


Our drive today took us up the left side of Michigan’s mitten to see what we see.  We stopped to pick up fresh peaches at a roadside stand and should have also gotten apples.  We stopped to see Lake Michigan and at Sleeping Bear National Lakeside area to look around…a lovely not too warm fall day.                          







A scenic ride with some water views and pretty much no access/bummer.  Eventually we made our way up to Leelanau State Park.  We paid the volunteer attendant the $9 daily admission fee and then I asked, “Do you by any chance have any campsites available.”  I asked even though the sign said campground full; I volunteer at state parks periodically (not in michigan) and I know how this can work.  She said, “I have one, site 25.”  I said, great we will go look at it (to make sure we would fit and because I had absolutely no confidence that she was the smartest tack in the box or would have checked to see what size the site was).  We went to look driving our 24 foot foot class C and towing our jeep over the pot holed campground round (yes!).  We get there and its on the water and we immediately decide to take it and drive back (foregoing our first thought of setting up and unhooking jeep)…just in case someone else comes in.  I should also point out the road was narrow and we would not have fit in every site as they were mostly small sites.  We slowly make our way back and I go inside while she is busy checking someone else in and tell her that when she has a chance we want site 25.  She said, Oh I just sold this to someone else.  ME: WHAT, I just told you I was going to look at it and would be right back. HER: (a very feeble unconvincing) Sorry.   I was mad and left.  So we go to find a place to park the rig and there is NOTHING that will enable us to park without unhooking the jeep.   Now we are both rather pissy and I send David into the office to get our money back.  I tell him, no curse words (oh yes I did) but be firm.  We have never been to a park that would do such a thing.  When you send someone to look at a site you wait until they comb back to confirm yes or no. Not a good policy MICHIGAN!  We left the park.  I will find a FREE waterfront site…oh yeah I will.  I should also point out that even though we had originally no idea of camping there, it was rather far up and out of the way of almost anything else so it was NOT on the way to anything.  HUMPHR…still mad.

 

Since Mail is such a great doggy girl.  We stopped at the Wag Dog park in Traverse City to get her some exercise and serious sniffing.  A good time was had by all…I think in the end there were 6 or 7 dogs of mostly big size and since she was the second one there, no one converged on her (which intimidates her).











No comments:

Post a Comment