Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Day 38 - La Scie, NL to ferry to Nova Scotia

Day 38/June 10, 2016  La Scie, NL to the ferry to Nova Scotia

Cape Ray Lighthouse
Today was a move day from La Scie and west to Cornerbrook…our time here is quickly coming to an end.

Finally, on the TCH 1 we spotted our one and only moose…well back from the road and very much alive. 

Scenery by Cape Ray
On a whim and because the weather was due to be RAIN for the next five days (except for today), we decided to give up Sandbanks Provincial Park and get a spot on the ferry.  Neither of us wanted to just sit at Sandbanks; it has some nice walks and is a ruggedly beautiful park.  We wouldn't have dry footwear for 5 days.  The ferry had openings for tonight but not tomorrow so we headed to the ferry.

J. T. Cheeseman Provincial Park...the beach
A stop at Cape Ray revealed a lighthouse that we didn’t know was there. We had a look.  Next we found our way to Cheeseman Provincial pass where we flashed our park pass to go have a look around.  A very nice last walk on the beach.  Perhaps we will spend a night in the campground at another trip as they have laundry facilities…not sure about potable water/always a challenge.

Our ferry leaves at 11:45 pm and there were no cabins available and if there was I couldn’t justify $140 plus Canadian tax.

Our ship and accommodations for the evening ride to Nova Scotia
At the terminal they had an ag inspection.  Unbeknownst to me because last time we left Newfoundland via Labrador (no inspection), potatoes don’t leave the island.  So they got 8 very nice sweet potatoes and 3 of my organic garlic; BUT they cannot even take them home to eat them. I asked!  Now I know for next time.

A windy day at J. T. Cheeseman Provincial Park
I was thinking it would be the same ship we came over on.  Well it wasn’t; the MV Highlander is a pretty grand ship.  They had airplane style seats with way more leg room than an airplane and much wider aisles.  I was hoping for bench seats that we could lay down on.  The seats reclined somewhat more than an airplane seat.  They also made a few announcements that people were not allowed to lay on any bench seats (there were a few) or on the floor and I saw people doing both.

I was hoping that I would sleep but pretty early I already knew I cannot sleep sitting up…have never been able to do so.  We had originally been put on wait list for a cabin just for the heck of it.  When we got on the boat they called David up to desk and we declined.  Well after about 15 minutes of the boat being underway, I went up to the desk and asked if they had any left and was told no.  About 15 minutes later, the lady came and search for me to let me know there was one available.  I took it!  $145 CD/$111 US dollar.  It was worth it for me to get some sleep I decided and David agreed.  David would have survived on the airplane seat but to get real sleep the cabin was the best choice for a good 10-12 hours of driving the next day.  Men can sleep sitting up don’t you know…just give them a big meal and sit them in a chair and let the snoring and sputtering commence.


Would I do night ferry again?  No.  Even if it was calm, it would cost too much to have the bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment