Thursday, November 5, 2015

Day 37: Mojave Preserve/Kelso Dunes


Day 37:
November 2, 2015:  Kelso Dunes @ Mojave Preserve
Hiking in the dunes I found this little lizard inhabiting
someone else hole..
I love dead quiet in the boonies.  Except for the 4 am hoot owl who stopped by for about 15 minutes it was VERY quiet.  









Desert color
This morning we took a diy walk to the Kelso dunes which are behind in our campsite.  David said it should take 20 minutes; even though I didn’t believe him, I didn’t bring water and hadn’t hydrated enough at breakfast.  His disclaimer stated that it was hard to judge distance though (I knew that).  So I made it about ¾ the way up and it was considerably more than 20 minutes FYI.  No water = dumb.  So I  sat in dunes, watched him go up and then walked back to campsite when I was cooled off enough.  Through our binoculars I could watch him climb to the highest dune’s summit.  It will be low 80’s today. It was not fun walking in the fine sand.







David's hike to the top...awesome!
OUR tree is a hub of activity and it’s the only tree that we can see anywhere at all.  Last night at dusk the monarchs where visiting it and some today as well.  When I was sitting out eating my breakfast cacao mug cake, I heard this buzzing.  I didn’t see any bees on any of the flowers as it was still cool outside.  By the time David announced that he heard buzzing and that there was probably a nest somewhere, I had come to the same conclusion.  It sounded like A LOT of bees.  The sign at the visitor’s center stated that Africanized bees are around when their sprinkler systems are on so stay away…so not sure what these are.
A day to relax some more.  Walking along the gravel road…easier and more pleasant than in the sand.
Our two closest neighbors (tents) left and we are alone on this road except for 2 trailers that are about ½ mile away.  A quiet day with no one visiting down the road.








Our oasis

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment