Friday, October 16, 2020

Fri, Oct 16 – Day 36:  BLM lands just south of the Magic Bus on route 95 south of Hanksville.

A quiet night was had by all and it was nice and cool. We left early for a stop in Hanksville to get gas in both vehicles. A short drive to Little Egypt confirmed what we thought….that this is Utah School holiday and people are out in droves.  The parking lot had lots of day use side by side visitors and rv’s parked for the long weekend. We could see off in the distance that the spot we were aiming for was taken.  Again, we recouped and ended up using a BLM road to park just south of the Magic Bus (an old Winnebago decorated by the roadside).  With no one else on this road (you could see) it was a quick sale!  We settled on a spot after a quick cruise with jeep.  By 3pm I was a bit bored and asked David if he wanted to drive the jeep up that steep hill to the Benches.  He said, yes.  As always, when we got to the top, he said, “Let’s keep going”. Me: okay.  After awhile I was saying, I sure hope this goes through and doesn’t just abruptly stop (no maps with us).  David had no trouble driving the jeep up or down anything.  There were a few dicey spots (like steep downs) that I needed to get out and walk.  David said, “to me, it looks more dangerous for you to walk down in crocs than to remain as passenger and drive down.”  We drove for about 1.5 hours on that road.  I began saying somewhere in the middle…”I sure hope we don’t have to turn around to go back and that this comes out on the paved road.”  It did with my navigating and selecting roads that were better used and going in the right direction. Although I did think we were further south than we were.  So we are here all by ourselves…yes!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment