Tuesday, September 29, 2020



Tuesday, 9/29 – Day 19: BLM lands outside Silverton, CO

Left rv at 8:30am to do the Alpine Loop near Silverton Colorado. It is billed as a backcountry scenic byway. So let’s clarify that. Back country and scenic heck yeah! Byway to me infers a calm serene ride…well NO. Bobble head ride yes because it is an old mining road that remains pretty much as was…they clear the snow off in late spring and clear any avalanche damage and make sure that all parts remain intact (didn’t wash away or fall off the side of the edge). It also stated 4-6 hours for those 65 miles. Well a big NOPE on that one. In our jeep wrangler (and there are an isolated few that do it in a SUV type car/we did not see anyone this time) it was slower than a UTV/side by side but manageable with stock tires. We did not stop much but for pictures here and there yet it took us about 5 hours to get to Lake City via Engineers Pass. At one point I got out of the Jeep thinking, “yeah, I could walk faster than we are driving if I kick it in gear”. What I failed to remember but got quickly is that I don’t do elevation well and that walking up steep inclines at elevation there is simply not enough oxygen for me…sucking for air. I didn’t attempt that again. When we arrived in Lake City and guestimated just how long it would take for us to return to rv in Silverton, it was mutually agreed that we would take the longer PAVED road back to our rv via Montrose, Ouray and then Silverton. It took us 4 hours on high speed highways. Mali dog had had enough bobble head and being in the car and was looking for dinner….and so had I. I earned a Tshirt!
















No comments:

Post a Comment